On 6 March 1945, the Fifth Ranger Battalion moved to Schwebsingen, Luxembourg, there to heal its wounds. A program of rest and rehabilitation was put into effect with a minimum amount of training. Colonel Sullivan began his search for reinforcements, in an effort to rebuild the battalion on the nucleus of the 180 Rangers. Passes to Luxembourg City and the Rangers' second home, -- Arlon, Belgium, were issued daily, and the battalion was rapidly rebuilt.
During the first days in Luxembourg, Colonel Webb of the "Battle Experiences" section of ETOUSA, questioned Colonel Sullivan, his staff and officers and enlisted men of the battalion, on their experiences in the last campaign.
On 19 March 1945, the battalion began to move across Germany, first to Trier, then to St. Wendel, were training was pursued more intensively. "D" Company went back to Trier, where the Rangers were used to guard a Displaced Persons Camp and keep order in the town.
On March 31st, the Battalion moved to Friedberg, Germany, where it was made responsible for the Military Government of Friedberg and used to keep law and order in the town.
On April 4th, the battalion moved to Melsungen, -- and on April 11th to Heyerod and then a series of missions of Military Government which took sections of the battalion to Erfurt, Gotha, Apolda, Weimar and Jena, Germany. Military Governments were set up and law and order established. In many cases, this proved to be a difficult job, as there was excessive looting by both